1 of 1
Among cities like San Francisco, New York and Seattle, The Daily Beast determined that Durham is the most tolerant city in America.
In honor of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, The Daily Beast sought to determine which urban centers are havens for tolerance. After limiting its search to cities with populations greater than 250,000, The Daily Beast then considered: which cities had the lowest number of reported hate crimes; what the city's anti-discrimination laws and position on same-sex marriage; religious tolerance; and the diversity of the city's urban population in terms of race, same-sex couples and religion.
Durham secured the No. 1 spot with the following results:
Hate crime incidents per 100,000 residents: 0.4
State tolerance rank (out of 50): 42
- Same-sex couples per 1,000 households: 8.3
- White percent of population: 60.4 percent
- Black percent of population: 27.1 percent
- Asian percent of population: 4.3 percent
- Most prevalent religion: N/A (Not sure about this one. We'll see what we can find out from The Daily Beast folk and get back with you.)
To find out how other cities matched up, click here.